New 2023 Election Districts
On Tuesday, March 15, 2022, the Goochland County Board of Supervisors adopted the Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 and Redistricting Ordinance that revises the official Electoral Map, Election Districts, Voting Precincts, and Polling Places.
The adoption of the map and ordinance completes the public process to revise the county’s five election districts to ensure there is equal representation for county voters across the county based on the 2020 Census data. A copy of the Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 is available here Version OptionsNew 2022 Election DistrictsHeadline Version OptionsNew 2022 Election DistrictsHeadline & shown below, and a copy of the Redistricting Ordinance is available here Version OptionsNew 2022 Election DistrictsHeadline Version OptionsNew 2022 Election DistrictsHeadline.
To find your address, Electoral Voting District, Precinct, and Polling place in Goochland County's interactive full screen web application CLICK HERE Version OptionsNew 2022 Election DistrictsHeadline.
Below is a link to the Goochland County Official Electoral Map shown above, please click the link to view a larger version of the map.
The Goochland County Official Electoral Map is also available in an interactive full screen web application at this link. The app displays the Official Goochland County Electoral Voting Districts, Precincts, and Polling Places.
What Happens Now?
The Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 and Redistricting Ordinance will become effective on April 15, 2022, 30 days after adoption.
While the map and ordinance are effective on April 15, 2022, under state law the Board of Supervisors and School Board members will continue to represent the election districts for which they were elected until after the next scheduled Board of Supervisors and School Board elections in 2023. This is also true for county residents who have been appointed as district representatives to county committees and boards.
The Office of the General Registrar is updating its records to reflect the new Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 and revised voting districts.
Goochland residents began receiving a New Voter Information Notice mailer at the end of May 2022 explaining the changes in their Congressional, State Senate, and House of Delegates districts. Please note that this mailer may not reflect all changes to precinct/polling places. As Goochland County will not be holding a primary election in June, any local changes will take place prior to the November election.
Here is an example of what the mailer will look like:
If you do not receive a Voter Information Notice or have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of the General Registrar at 804-556-5803. For more information on elections and voter registration information please visit the Office of the General Registrar webpage at this link.
Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 Process
Below is the process Goochland County followed to create and adopt a new Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 and revised election districts. As you may know, the county’s previous election districts were created after the 2010 US Census and the adopted revisions are to accommodate the county’s population growth based on the data from the 2020 US Census.
The process started with an initial Proposed Redistricting Map created by a small team of county staff. No elected or appointed officials – including the Board of Supervisors, the School Board, or the Electoral Board – had any input into or knowledge about the Proposed Redistricting Map; they all saw it for the first time, as the public did on December 17, 2021.
The Proposed Redistricting Map, which eventually became the Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022, followed all legal requirements and also other criteria adopted by the Board of Supervisors in November 3, 2021. The Board of Supervisors specifically directed staff not to consider protection of incumbency for any local official, so that information was not collected or considered in creating the Proposed Redistricting Map.
The county solicited public comment on the map from December 17, 2021 through February 1, 2022. A summary of the public comments and requests were presented to the Board of Supervisors at a public meeting on February 22, 2022. The Board of Supervisors considered three suggestions for changes to the Proposed Redistricting Map, but decided not to make any changes. Then, on March 15, 2022, after holding a public hearing on the final redistricting map, the Board of Supervisors adopted the Official Goochland County Electoral Map 2022 and Redistricting Ordinance. Goochland County thanks the Goochland Community and county staff for participating and completing this important public process.
- Process for Creating Proposed Redistricting Map
- Election District Population
- Proposed Redistricting Map - Explanation of Changes from Current Election Districts
- Precincts and Polling Places
- Proposed Election Districts by Race and Ethnicity
- Table 1 2010 Census and 2020 Census Total Population by Race and Ethnicity
- Table 2 Total Population by Race and Ethnicity
- Table 3 Registered Voters by Proposed Precinct
- BoS Approved Redistricting Criteria Process 11-3-2021
- Redistricting Update 12-7-2021
- Redistricting Community Meeting Notice
- Community Meeting Presentation 1-5-22
- Frequently Asked Questions Updated 1-25-2022
- Redistricting Board of Supervisors Presentation February 22, 2022
- What are the small shaded areas throughout the map?
- Please explain what Census Blocks are, how they can be found on the Proposed Redistricting Map, and what information is available on the map about each Census Block?
- Why are there only two precincts in each Election District? Could more be created?
- Will the County’s Redistricting Map have to be submitted to and approved by the U.S. Department of Justice?
- Will the County’s Redistricting Map have to be submitted to and approved by the Virginia Attorney General?
- Under the Proposed Redistricting Map, which voters in Goochland County will be in Virginia House of Delegates District 57?
- The Board of Supervisors directed staff not to consider incumbency in drawing the new local election districts. Are the members of the Board of Supervisors still located in their current districts und
- If the Board of Supervisors members don’t still live in the district they represent, can they continue to serve as the Board representative for their district?
- How will Goochland voters know their districts, precincts, and polling places after a new redistricting map is adopted?
- How do I lookup my address on the Redistricting Map?