Elections and Voter Registration
Office and Satellite Closed Monday October 12
The Office of the General Registrar and the In-Person Absentee/Early Voting Satellite office at the Goochland Sports Complex will be closed Monday, October 12, in observance of Columbus Day.
Next Electoral Board Meetings
All Meetings will be held at the Goochland County Office of the General Registrar 1876 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063 unless noted.
November 4, 2020 - 9am- 1800 Sandy Hook Rd Rm 270
- November General Election Canvass of Results and Provisional Ballot Meeting
Opens a New Window.The minutes from each meeting will be archived here Version OptionsElections and Voter RegistrationHeadline after approval at the following meeting
Voting Absentee In-Person
Absentee Voting, Early Voting and Vote by Mail...
You may be hearing these words being thrown around in the news and on social media. In Virginia they all mean the same thing.
Beginning July 1, 2020 any registered voter can vote absentee without having to provide any reason or supporting information!
Due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the Virginia Department of Elections as well as the Goochland County Registrar’s Office encourage all voters to protect their health and the health of others by voting from home.
Every voter that votes absentee is one less voter in line on Election Day, limiting the risk of spreading the virus within the community and protecting those that serve as Officers of Election at the polls.
Voting Absentee by Mail
Ballots for the November 3, 2020 November General Election will be available Friday, September 18, but you can request them right now! The last day to request an Absentee Ballot to be sent to you is Friday, October 23.
Applications can be returned in person at the Office of the General Registrar located at 1876 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063, by mail to the General Registrar at PO Box 1013, Goochland, VA 23063, by fax to 804-556-6323 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also apply for an Absentee Ballot online.
Returning your ballot
Your voted ballot can be returned by mail to PO Box 1013, Goochland, VA, 23063.
Ballots can also be returned during normal business hours to a drop off location at the Office of the General Registrar 1876 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063 or at the Voter Satellite Office at the Goochland County Sports Complex 1800 Sandy Hook Rd, Goochland, VA 23063.
The Sports Complex drop off location will also be available on Saturday October 24 and Saturday, October 31 from 9am - 5pm.
Drop off locations will also be available at our polling places on Election Day. Please visit the our District Information page for a list of those addresses.
The November General Election will be held November 3, 2020 in Goochland County. All Precincts will be open from 6am to 7pm. If you are in line at 7pm you will be allowed to vote. Here are some helpful hints to make sure things go smoothly and quickly:
Check your voter registration. You can check the status of your voter registration using the citizen portal at the Department of Elections website here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/. Make sure you are registered at the correct address and with the correct name. Any confusion can make it difficult to find your name on the Poll Book and lead to delays.
Know where you vote. You can check where you vote using the citizen portal at the Department of Elections website here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/. You have to vote at your designated polling place. If you go to the wrong polling place you will be directed to the correct polling place which will lead to delays.
Know what is on the ballot. Do not let there be any surprises at the Polls on Election Day. You can view a sample ballot on our Election Information and Sample Ballot page here. Knowing who you are going to vote for will allow you to mark your ballot quickly and be on your way.
Know how to mark a ballot. Simply fill in the bubble next to the candidate of your choice. Making any other mark, such as an x or check may result in the machine not reading your mark and your vote not being counted.
Bring ID. Some form of identification is required to vote in Virginia. Here is the list of approved forms of ID:
- voter confirmation documents
- valid Virginia driver’s license
- valid United States passport, or any other identification issued by the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States
- any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth or any private school located in the Commonwealth
- any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in any other state or territory of the United States
- any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer’s business
- a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document containing the name and address of the voter
Become an Election Officer
To become an Election Officer one must:
- Be registered to vote in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Be 18 years of age.
- Be willing to start work at 5:00 AM and stay until the precinct is closed and cleaned up (usually about 8:30 PM).
- You will receive a stipend for you day of volunteer service.
If you are interested in becoming an Election Officer for Goochland County, please apply here. We will be in contact shortly.