Upcoming Election Information and Sample Ballot
The June Democratic Primary will be held on June 8, 2021 in Goochland County. All Precincts will be open from 6am to 7pm. If you are in line at 7pm you will be allowed to vote. Here are some helpful hints to make sure things go smoothly and quickly:
Check your voter registration. You can check the status of your voter registration using the citizen portal at the Department of Elections website here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/. Make sure you are registered at the correct address and with the correct name. Any confusion can make it difficult to find your name on the Poll Book and lead to delays.
Know where you vote. You can check where you vote using the citizen portal at the Department of Elections website here: https://www.elections.virginia.gov/citizen-portal/. You have to vote at your designated polling place. If you go to the wrong polling place you will be directed to the correct polling place which will lead to delays.
Know what is on the ballot. Do not let there be any surprises at the Polls on Election Day. You can view a sample ballot on our Election Information and Sample Ballot page here. Knowing who you are going to vote for will allow you to mark your ballot quickly and be on your way.
Know how to mark a ballot. Simply fill in the bubble next to the candidate of your choice. Making any other mark, such as an x or check may result in the machine not reading your mark and your vote not being counted.
Bring ID. Some form of identification is required to vote in Virginia. Here is the list of approved forms of ID:
- voter confirmation documents
- valid Virginia driver’s license
- valid United States passport, or any other identification issued by the Commonwealth, one of its political subdivisions, or the United States
- any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in the Commonwealth or any private school located in the Commonwealth
- any valid student identification card issued by any institution of higher education located in any other state or territory of the United States; (v)
- any valid employee identification card containing a photograph of the voter and issued by an employer of the voter in the ordinary course of the employer’s business
- a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document containing the name and address of the voter.
Download the Official Virginia Dept of Elections Voter Information Guide
(Not yet available)