The Virginia Department of Forestry's 4:00 PM Burning Law is in effect from February 15 through April 30th.
The 4:00 PM Burning Law specifies:
- No burning until AFTER 4:00 p.m. February 15 through April 30 of each year, if the fire is in or within 300 feet of woodland, brushland or field containing dry grass or other flammable material.
- Fire shall not be left unattended if within 150 feet of woodland, brushland or fields containing dry grass.
- No new fires set, no fuel added, or fire rekindled after midnight.
- Law applies to campfires, warming fires, brush piles, leaves, household trash, stumps, fields of broomstraw and brush or anything capable of spreading fire.
- The law provides for a penalty of up to $500, plus payment of court costs and fire suppression costs if the fire escapes.
For questions or more information contact the Virginia Department of Forestryat (434.977.6555) or Goochland County Fire-Rescue (804.556.5304).