We are working closely with the Goochland Health Department, as well as other local and state officials, to monitor the potential impact COVID-19 may have locally. We rely upon their expert advice to help us navigate these important issues.
As of March 4, 2020, the Virginia Department of Health reports that there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Virginia, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that the risk to the public remains low. In comparison, the health risks associated with influenza (the flu) are far greater in the U.S. at the current time.
Below are COVID-19 fact sheets for quick reference, as well as a prepared list of resources to help address any questions you may have. We ask that you review these materials individually and with your family to be better informed and prepared. In addition, here are a few quick tips that you can use now to help prevent the spread of many illnesses in our schools and community:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Avoid close contact with others and seek medical treatment if necessary.
- If you have a fever, do not return to work or school until you are fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available. https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Put your used tissue in a wastebasket, then wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve. https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/etiquette/coughing_sneezing.html
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
To learn more about COVID-19, visit:
Should you have additional questions, you may contact:
- The Goochland Health Department: (804) 556-5843
- The Virginia Department of Health Hotline: 1-877-ASK-VDH3
CDC COVID-19 Fact Sheet_English
CDC COVID-19 Fact Sheet_Spanish