What is an Overlay district and where are they located?
The County has design overlay districts along our major corridors (River Road West, River Road, Broad Street Road, and Ashland Road) and in certain villages (Centerville, Goochland Courthouse, and Oilville). These entrance corridors and village center overlay districts are created to conserve elements of the county's scenic beauty and to preserve and protect corridors and areas. A Certificate of Approval permit is required for any exterior improvements, including signs, or new construction. The Planning & Zoning department reviews and issues COA applications. Planning & Zoning Applications and Information

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. What Zoning do I need?
3. Can I subdivide or divide my property?
4. What is a Minor subdivision?
5. What is a Family Division?
6. What is a Major Subdivision?
7. Can I make my property larger or smaller? Adjust or delete a property line?
8. What is an Overlay district and where are they located?
9. Can I have a business in my home?
10. Can I add an in-law suite or second dwelling to my property?
11. How do I find property ownership information?
12. How do I order a missing or damaged street sign?
13. Do I need Zoning approval for my business license?
14. I want to build a farm building or a structure less than 256 sq. feet. What permit do I need?
15. How do I place a zoning complaint?
16. Who do I contact for addressing?
17. Where do I go to find recorded surveys, deeds, or plats of property?