Social Services

You may apply for benefits online at, by phone at 1-855-635-4370, or for Medical Assistance only at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590).  Should you need a replacement EBT card, you may call 1-866-281-2448; or call your local agency.

Medicare:  For more information regarding Medicare, please click here:

Goochland Community Action Program

The Goochland Community Action program administered by Goochland Social Services is accepting applications from Goochland residents that have fallen behind on their mortgage, rent, electric, propane, oil, kerosene (or other heating source) bill as a result of an economic hardship.  Funds are limited.  

To be eligible for funds under this program, applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a resident of Goochland County
  • Have experienced/been impacted by an economic hardship
  • Have fallen behind on a mortgage, rent, electric, propane, or kerosene bill for services  

To request an application:                          

  • Call 804-556-5880 between 8:00a.m.-4:30p.m. Monday-Friday for an application to be mailed to you.
  • Pick up an application at 1800 Sandy Hook Road, Suite 200, Goochland, Virginia 23063.

  •  Click HERE to print application

Mission Statement

Our mission is to promote self reliance, foster prevention, and provide protection to strengthen families and individuals by offering services and linking them to community resources.

The Goochland Department of Social Services provides services ranging from protective services for children, aged and disabled to employment services. The department is also responsible for the administration and operation of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid/FAMIS Programs, and Energy Assistance Programs. Information and referral services are available to all citizens.

Medicaid Expansion

To apply for Medicaid only, follow the Virginia Commonhelp link below:  or call 1-855-242-8282 to speak with a customer services representative.  

To apply for Medicaid, SNAP and TANF, follow the Virginia Commonhelp link below: or call 1-855-635-4370 to speak with a customer services representative.    


In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write:
USDA Director
Office of Civil Rights
1400 SW Independence Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20250
Phone: 800-795-3272 (voice)
Phone: 202-720-6382 (TTY)

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.