Throughout the year, temporary signage can be seen along Goochland County roadways. The following guidelines are intended to inform those who place temporary signs of the applicable laws and regulations.
Throughout the year, temporary signage can be seen along Goochland County roadways. This type of signage regularly increases during the election cycle. Temporary signage provides a cost-effective way to display a message for a short period of time. These guidelines are intended to inform those who place temporary signs of the laws and regulations pertaining to placement, size, and duration.
What is a Temporary Sign?
A temporary sign is defined as any sign less than 32 square feet in size or less than 10 feet in height.
Temporary Sign Guidelines
- Sign permits are not required
- Political Signs are considered temporary signs under Goochland’s zoning ordinance
- Signs are allowed for a maximum 180-day period per calendar year on commercial properties
- There is no time limit on agricultural or residential properties
- Signs should:
- Not obstruct lines of sight or distract motorists or pedestrians
- Be set back at least 5 feet from the property line or right-of-way
- Be structurally safe and the design and materials are not hazardous
- When placing signs on private property:
- Get the permission of the property owner
- Ensure compliance with County sign regulations (Art. 26, Sec. 15-417 et seq.)
- Do not place signs on public property, in rights-of-way, on traffic signs, or utility poles:
- For any questions about VDOT regulations and Virginia law, call 1-800-FOR-ROAD
- Any sign that is placed on public property, in the right-of-way, or poses a safety hazard will be removed and may be stored for owner retrieval
- Arrangements to pick up signs may be made by calling (804) 556-5374 between 7:30 AM and 6:00PM daily
For more information on the applicable codes, see Virginia Code Sections 15.2-109 and 33.2-1224 and Article 26, Section 15-417 of the Goochland County Zoning Ordinance.
For additional information, please call (804) 556-5859 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.