The Virginia Department of Forestry 4 p.m. Burn Law is in effect from February 15th through April 30th.
The 4:00 PM Burning Law specifies:
- No burning until AFTER 4:00 p.m. February 15 through April 30 of each year, if the fire is in or within 300 feet of woodland, brushland or field containing dry grass or other flammable material.
- Fire shall not be left unattended if within 150 feet of woodland, brushland or fields containing dry grass.
- No new fires set, no fuel added, or fire rekindled after midnight.
- Law applies to campfires, warming fires, brush piles, leaves, household trash, stumps, fields of broomstraw and brush or anything capable of spreading fire.
- The law provides for a penalty of up to $500, plus payment of court costs and fire suppression costs if the fire escapes.
For questions or more information contact the local Virginia Department of Forestry office at (540.967.3702) or Goochland County Fire-Rescue (804.556.5304).